Week 6 blog post

This week we extended our discussion about Diversity and Inclusion. The class had discussions about immigration with Mathew who is from the Caribbean islands. We also talked to Enysa about her family and she told us that her mom tried to learn how to speak more “American.”  This was very interesting to me because I love to hear people with accents talk. This week I watched the film “Documented.” This film follows the story of an undocumented american journalists name Jose Vargas. Jose immigrated to the United States when he was twelve years old. Jose lived with his grandparents and went to high school and college in the United States. Mr. Vargas eventually became published in several magazines before coming out as an “Undocumented American.” This video provided me insight on the struggles that many undocumented people or people without papers face in the United States today. This document also sprung forward a campaign called “define American.” There is a website for the cause of further telling stories like Jose’s. I learned about a woman named Emiliana Aguilar who came to the United States to flee a war in her mother country, Guatemala. Emiliana loves her country very much and tries to continually practice her culture within her family. I also heard the stories of three women who started the #Blacklivesmatter movement. Both of these videos demonstrate how in the United States diversity and the fight for safety and inclusion continue to be seen today. In contrast I watched a video called white people that shared young white people’s opinion’s and outlook’s on their lives and struggles. I think that this film contained truth but I also think it painted a poor picture of young white people in some aspects. I didn’t like that it painted a picture of young white people as being non-inclusive to people with other races or backgrounds in their friend groups. I personally don’t act this way and wouldn’t want that assumption being made of me. I acknowledge that it does happen but I think that can happen with any person and any friend group not just white people. I think that everyone should strive to treat others well. 

Image result for undocumented immigrants Image result for define american Image result for undocumented immigrants 
Related image


Links: 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8

Week 7

Campus & Community Engagement